Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day Fifteen

Today we ran the show.  For the first time.  All the way through.  The whole thing.

We started by staging the last few scenes, which continue on our emotional rollercoaster of the last few days.  Some things are incredibly hard to watch and hear and feel (over and over) so it was almost refreshing to get to the run and get to see the big picture.  There's an adjustment in remembering where all the characters begin after working so hard for the last few rehearsals on where they wind up.

We had some of our friends from the cast of Fiddler on the Roof sit in on our run to check out what we've been up to.  (Their show closes on Saturday - only three more chances to see it!)  It was so interesting to have new people in the room.  I was afraid it would put some undue pressure on the cast to feel the need to "perform" for their first time running through the whole show, but I think it was an educational experience - especially with the unknown quantity of a brand new musical - to hear some reactions.  It certainly didn't jeopardize any of them - they were as on point as they always are.  The run was officially called a "stumble through," but there was no stumbling going on in the Lloyd Rehearsal Hall.

It was a lot to watch.  The second act is especially difficult for me, straddling this world between author and audience, because my reactions are still so emotional.  Not that I want to separate the two - I'm proud to have written something that hopefully gives actors the room to really move people, and I don't want to be cold and calculated about it.  But it can be hard to feel that kind of punch in the gut every day since it doesn't get any easier with each viewing.  I've vowed to just give myself over to it every night from here on out (mostly because I don't have any other choice!)

Basically, everyone left tonight exhausted and happy (and ready for bed.)  On to another run tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment