Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day Nineteen

Tech began today.  This is my first time really tech-ing a show as a writer (and I haven't been involved in a real tech in any capacity since college) and these 10 out of 12 hour days are exhausting!

The big takeaway of the day?  My goodness we are so lucky to be surrounded by the people working on this show.  I've spent weeks singing the praises of Joe and Rich and the 7 actors and 3 stage managers (Jess, Molly & Jakob) who've been in the rehearsal room all along.  And they're all still immensely praise-worthy - the work they've been doing is on full display here.  But when you add in the work of the designers and their crews it becomes a fully realized show.  You've read about Tim, Joel, Jen, and Ed.  The work they have all done is fantastic from the start.  From the hyper-real bathroom set to the washes of beautiful color in the lights to the parade of pitch-perfect hoodies and the full sound coming out of the pit, they've found a way to illuminate this story that goes so far beyond my wildest imaginings.  And they're supported by such a wonderful group of people, working literally around the clock under the supervision of Production Manager-extraordinaire Bridget Sullivan, to realize this world.  I can't wait to see the rest tomorrow!

I wrote a whole long description of everything I saw today - the amazing popcorn counter, the pink glow of "This Is It," Kaylee's incredible red jeans (to name a few) - but there is no way to truly get across how wonderful it is to see this all come to life.  I feel like a fountain of gratitude - trying to say "Thank you" as much as I possibly can.  Even that can't really be enough, though.  I know that this is what they all do, they're professionals, and they aren't just doing this for me and Julia.  But I can't help but look at the proof for the program and see all of the names and feel humbled that what was a couple of new songs three years ago is now no longer just mine.  And while that was a pretty scary thought a month ago, I couldn't be more excited to share this with everyone in that theater.

We've got another 10 out of 12 tomorrow, so look for another late-night update then!

No comments:

Post a Comment